Guidelines for Effective Adolescent Literacy Instruction
I am posting them up on my blog as I cannot find any description of information anywhere else about these. They have been made up by a provider - team solutions
1. Instruction provides students with extensive opportunities to engage with a wide range of appropriately challenging written text.
2. Instruction is differentiated to address individual literacy need, interests & experiences.
3. Effective literacy instruction clarifies and shares literacy learning intentions and criteria for success.
4. Instruction provides students with specific feedback about the language aspect(s) of their learning.
5. Instruction supports students to make effective use of how texts are organised (e.g. heading, different paragraph structures).
6. Instruction develops students’ skill to make links to prior knowledge and/or build necessary background knowledge
7. Instruction develops students’ vocabulary and vocabulary-solving skills.
8. Instruction develops students’ skills to employ key comprehension strategies.
9. Instruction develops students’ skills to flexibly use and integrate written, oral, and visual modes.
10. Instruction develops students’ skills in both receptive and productive language use.
11. Instruction develops students’ skills to engage with text beyond a literal/factual level.