Tuesday 3 July 2007

Issues

Can’t sleep at the moment and I think I have a cold coming on, also I can’t stop thinking how a course could be put together for a year 13 computer science programme. If this was to go ahead, what would be involved in setting it up. What knowledge would I need to be able to teach my students for the external?
Looking at what we put together with 2783 and 18743? It looks to be a good piece of work, could I look at integrating those units into my course for next year and would the students cope, it is a rather large task. 2783 looks at the contemporary computer components while 18743 looks at the technologies that is used in today’s business. Should I look at tech 2.6, does it still exist for students to contrast and compare technologies that are used today, cellphone, cdma, gsm, blackberry?
It has been five years since I looked at some of this stuff and it is starting to hurt. This is one of the thing that I am looking at, I have been a IM teacher and have lost a lot of knowledge that I will need to rethink and look back on. Would a stage one university course help COMP101? I started to think about the packet headers for tcp/ip today and hoe they work with the internet as well as the Class A, Class B, and class C addresses, I can remember two of them 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x, what was the other one?

If I was to enrol in a uni paper, which one and where, do I look at staying in the city over the holidays and doing summer school  or is it something I can do at night? When does summer school start? How would it affect the rest of my classes. I don’t feel I could do it extramural, as I had a bad experience with that when finishing off my bachelors project. But a good experience when I helped a mate out with his e-learning paper. Maybe because it wasn’t “my” work?

Or would I be bored with it due to I have done it before in my polytechnic papers, man that was 6-9 pm at night with HF101 and SF101 and the basic programming papers I carried out, and to this day I still don’t know how I passed HF101, I can’t even remember writing the stuff I did in class down. I have it on paper, but hey.

What would look at the stuff that I need to teach, with multimedia, would it be an exam based theory or a practical project? You need a way to assess the material taught in class, would it be a combination of both.

Moving on, year 12 programming end of year assessment, Using the Technology Achievement Standards to address a client’s need, creating a database to hold an orienteering events three day competition, Relationships on the three days linking back to the competitor, the different age groups, clubs? I know I did something similar at school in sixth form computing, but that would meet the requirements of the brief and the unit standard. Getting the students to compete around a course at school would be an idea for a double period, Set up two courses with plastic plates that spell a word when complete. I have a digital map of the school, it would just involve marking out the buildings and tress and any man made features on the site. OCAD. I have been meaning to do this for years but haven’t had the time, could I give it to a student to do? To work out? A year 13 programming student maybe?

No comments: