Tuesday 8 September 2009

Portable apps

I have been thinking about this for a while, I have been using portable apps on my netbook for a while now it has become my test environment with XMAPP running on it. It has provided me access to mysql and php with apache web sever. It also has openoffice on it. Though I am now starting to think, is this enough.

With the introduction of bigger USB sticks, I am starting to look at Operating Systems that could run on these. Ubuntu has released information that can boot off a usb stick, and now I see windows xp, though it does get me thinking what will happen when you change windows xp from one computer to another. The reason why I am thinking this, is that school cannot afford to buy microsoft expression web. Though with the dreamspark program students can install it on there own computer. So if the students have their own usb stick is it the same, can they install software on the stick that they own. I know this will have some issues around what operating system and how the license is used.

No comments: