Tuesday 3 April 2007

What is a YANT?

A YANT is a teacher who is under 35 or in their first 5 years of teaching, that is what we have discussed at the PPTA meetings. A YANT stands for a Young and New Teacher.

I had a email asking for this definition today from another school as someone wishes to be the YANT rep as part of a PPTA branch.

Now I gave them the above definition, at the same time I emailed the Advisory Officer in Wellington asking for a more defined definition. I got an answer,

"I have not been successful in getting a clear definition from the files – the YaNT network was set up to cater for “teachers under the age of 35” and “recently appointed teachers” said the conference decision in 2000. That second part is not very helpful wording, and has led to the various lengths of time that have been applied.

I have now consulted the General Secretary and the decision is that the second part should be reworded “recently appointed teachers until they achieve full registration”. This will enable older teachers to receive the necessary support from the network until they can spread their professional wings, as it were.

We are aware that some branches may be applying different definitions right now and we have no wish to embarrass them, but we will get this wording circulated and hope that the confusion will end."

Now there are at least three other definitions that I have found on the net as well about what a YANT is;

The one I like the best, A YANT is not a Young Nat!

No comments: